Skip to main content

Planning for your future

It's important to start to make a plan for your future.

You'll be supported to do this through your school and your social worker and/or health professional, if you have one.

This is your life, so it's important that you take part in any planning and that you are supported to have your say.

There are different types of plan:

Transition plan

If you have an Education Health and Care Plan, or a SEN statement, you should start developing your transition plan at aged 14.

The transition plan will be developed at your Year 9 Transition Annual Review.

The transition review should help you think about:

  • what skills you need to develop to have the life you want and how the school and others  can help you gain these
  • post 16 options, including education, colleges, higher education, apprenticeships, training and help to get a job
  • what a good life looks like to you, and how you can achieve this (such as where you live, hobbies and friendships)
  • what support you might need as you grow up to be as independent as possible

Each year your transition plan should be reviewed and a new action plan should be completed.

Person centred review

Many schools will offer to do a person centred review as your transition review.

This helps you look at what is important to and for you now and in the future and makes sure we have an action plan.

A person centred review makes sure the young person is at the centre, and is less formal than a normal review. You can bring food and drink to the review and talk to the person co-ordinating your review to tell them what would make you more comfortable (such as having music playing in the background).

You may be offered a person centred 'important to and for' review. This type of review helps you think what is important to you now and in the future. People who know you well can look at what you are saying and offer help and advice based on what is important to you.

The headings in a review are:

  • who's here
  • what people like and admire about the person
  • what is important to the person - now and in the future
  • supporting the person to stay healthy and safe
  • questions to answers issues to resolve
  • what's working/not working
  • action plan

Some of the things young people have said about person centred reviews are:

  • "you're in the centre, it's all about you"
  • "my review was brilliant - the teachers really listened"
  • "you get an action plan, you can use it to remind people to do what they say"

Citizenship review

A citizenship review builds on the 'important to and for' review. It helps us look at all the things you need to think about as you grow up, and what is positive and possible.

At the end of the review we you will have an action plan of what needs to happen.

The headings in a citizenship review are:

  • Who's here
  • Good things since the last review
  • What's working/not working at school
  • What's possible
  • Keys to citizenship:
    • Choice and control
    • Planning - my life
    • Money
    • Home
    • Community
    • Support
  • Questions to answer/issues to resolve
  • Action plan

Person centred planning

Person centred planning means that the young person is at the centre of planning their life.

It is a process of finding ways of listening to what is most important to them and what they want from their lives now and in the future.

A person centred plan helps to be clear about what the person wants, how they can be supported and who can help them achieve this.

There are different types of person centred pPlans depending on what you want to achieve. There are workshops you can attend to help you or your family develop your own person centred plan

One page profile

A one page profile is a quick glance guide to who you are and what is important to you.

It's good to write a one page profile as it helps others support you better. It also helps you think about what's important to you now and in the future and what you might need help with.

The heading in a one page profile are:

  • What people like and admire about me
  • What's important to me now and in the future
  • How best to support me

You or a family member can write your own one page profile, and take it to meetings, or use it when you first start somewhere new, so staff have a little bit of information about you and can support you in a way that makes sense to you.

Moving from children's services to adult services

If you have a children's social worker or you have social care services that help you, you may be entitled to an adult social worker and adult social services.

Your children's social worker will refer you to adult services just before your 16th birthday. This is to ensure that:

  • adult services know about you and the help and support you may need
  • adult services can make sure the right adult team support you
  • adult and children's services can work together to make you as independent as possible before your 18th birthday
  • you can be supported to look at adult options
  • we have enough time to plan for your move to adult services

If you have been referred to adult services, you can expect between the ages of 16 and 18 to have:

  • met your adult worker (normally just after your 16th birthday)
  • an action plan stating what to expect from your transition
  • an independence led assessment completed by the time you are 17½
  • to know whether you are eligible for adult services and what service you will be getting by the time you are 17¾
  • a support plan agreed by the time you are 18

If you have a transitioning from children's to adult services and you are not happy with the transition process, please email Caitlin Chapman transition coordinator.

If you do not have a children's worker, but think you would benefit from adult services, you can request an independence led assessment to be completed, however this does not mean you will definitely get a service. You can request this through your school annual review.