Cognition and learning team- Learning Support Service (LSS)
We are a team of specialist Cognition and Learning teachers and teaching assistants who support Children, Young People (CYP) and school staff in the areas of Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN), Moderate Learning Difficulties (MLD), Down Syndrome and Irlen Syndrome. You may hear us referred to as the LSS CL Team.
As a team we:
- Observations and/or assessments of CYP referred to the service for CL needs (Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Irlen, MLD, SLCN, Down Syndrome, Drawing and Talking)
- 1:1 support for SENCO’s re identification, advice and/or signposting for CL support
- Training for whole staff or key groups of staff on understanding the areas of CL covered by the team (Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, SLCN, MLD, Down Syndrome, Irlen, Inclusion, IEP setting)
- Training or modelling of specific support strategies to Teachers and Teaching Assistants in school
- Advice about inclusion
- Advice and guidance about managing transitions & key transition phases for CYP with Down Syndrome in mainstream setting
- Attendance at meetings with parents, carers, or other professionals
- Facilitation of group staff meetings around the needs of CYP with CL needs
- Advice about target setting for Individual Education Plans or similar
- Formal Diagnoses of Dyslexia and/or Dyscalculia (£400 per assessment – invoiced to school)
- Access Arrangements in Key Stage 4
- time limited specialist advice, support and interventions for children and young people in Salford referred to the team.
- bespoke training to schools around the areas of SEND named above.
- targeted numeracy and literacy support to school-based teaching assistants delivered by our LSS specialist TA’s.
- Drawing and Talking therapy delivered by our specialist staff
- 1:1 LSS Specialist TA support for individual pupils referred to us
- In depth pupil voice information gathering directly with CYP
- SENCO’s in schools
- Teachers and Teaching Assistants in school
- Individual or small groups of pupils (Reception to Year 11)
- Parents/carers to help them understand diagnostic reports or suggested support
To access support from our team schools request support directly via our dedicated LSS referral website. To proceed with a referral parent/carer consent must be obtained by school and included as part of the online referral. They should also include evidence of any ongoing support in school, any other professionals involved and the impact of any support or advice already received. Waiting lists vary depending on the area of need being referred for but generally we aim to see CYP referred to us within the half term they are referred. We are a school-based service and provide support during term time only and so this may affect when support is provided in school.
- 4 - 16
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Asma Hughes
- Contact Position
- Learning Support Service Team Leader
- Parent Organisation
- Salford City Council
Where to go
Salford City Council
- M27 5AW
Time / Date Details
- Session Information
Monday to Friday from 8:45am to 3:45pm. (Term time only)
- Referral required
- Referral Details
Should a SENCO, or teacher, wish to ask for informal advice, send them an email.